Bermuda Forts Were Built To Last



The limestone Bermuda forts have been built from the time period 1612 to 1957 ranging in size from small batteries to large impressive fortifications with moats and canons still in their original place. Bermuda's forts and batteries are unique in that they were the first to use lime stone in their construction not wood like other forts of that time.

Below are old canons which can be found at Alexandra Battery, St. Georges.

Some forts are open to the public

The larger forts are open to the public from sunrise to sunset as outdoor museums. Many of these structures in Bermuda are on secluded islands and inlets which can only be accessed by boat. Though Bermuda has a huge build up of these strongholds only one single canon has been fired toward a hostile enemy in the 18th century. The following forts are ideal for a picnic, parties, weddings or just for a romantic view of the sun setting.

Fort George

Ft George looked different until the mid 1800's and renamed in honor of King George III. This fort was originally built in 1613 by  Governor Thomas Moore, as Riches Mount, to look over the harbor.

This structure features an 8 pointed star formation surrounded by an inner keep reached by drawbridges spanning a moat (now dry).  Although once heavily armed, today only one 25 ton 11 inch rifle muzzle loader canon remains.

Due to it's location on the highest hill in St George this fort now serves as the headquarters for the Bermuda Maritime Operations Center however one can still visit the former Bermuda fort and observe the spectacular views of St Georges harbor.

Agars Island

Agars Island is a former fort area in Pembroke Parish holding historical importance.  In 1870 the British Army built Bermuda's largest gun powder magazine.  It was abandoned in the 1920's to make way for Bermuda's first aquarium.  Unfortunately the land has been developed as a guest house and it is no longer accessible to the public.