Cheat On Your Diet
With Bermuda Pound Cake
Bermuda pound cake is a great option for your wedding cake. There are different variations of this cake which can be light and fluffy or heavy, as if it weighed a pound.
Crow Lane Bakery is the master of pound cake
Crow Lane Bakery, on the island, has mastered this cake and is the number one sought after for birthday cakes. You can place an order or go into the shop and purchase individual slices with or without icing.
The Cake Shop can customize your order
The Cake Shop, another local bakery on the island, offers both versions of the cake but I really think that their light pound cake is worth ordering for birthdays or weddings.
My wedding cake was special as I specifically asked for three tier cake with one of the tiers layered with strawberry jam - this was beyond amazing as it was so evident by the lack of cake remaining for us to enjoy later!
Traditional Bermuda Cakes
Traditionally, such cakes are iced with white boiled icing. For the groom's cake the baker has the tedious task to place delicate gold leaves over the entire cake.
What ingredients are needed?
- 1 pound butter
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 pound flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
How do you make the cake?
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg yolks slowly beating simultaneously.
3. Sift flour and baking powder.
4. Next add this dry ingredient mix to the butter mixture. Beat until all ingredients are smooth consistency.
5. Stir in vanilla.
6. Then beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then fold this into the well blended batter.
7. Pour into a deep lined cake pan.
8. Bake in the oven for one and a half hours at 275°.
9. Once the cake has cooled you can add the icing of your choice.
Return From Bermuda Pound Cake Back to Bermuda Recipes