Baked donuts are a healthy alternative to frying. Using the baking method eliminates calories and cuts excess grease from our diets. Albeit they aren't like Dunkin donuts but they are equally as tasting. Just add your choice of toppings once they are cooked and you can easily savor the same sweet taste at home. Or you can dip your donut in glaze, strawberry icing, confection sugar, cinnamon sugar mix, chocolate or leave it plain.
Foods that are deep fried in oil, causes the starch in the foods to convert to carcinogens. Carcinogens are causer causing substances. Exposure to high levels of carcinogens that are often found when deep frying foods can lead to heart diseases and cancer. Baking requires little to no added oil, therefore it does not cause any reaction in foods making the food much healthier once cooked.
Heating oils at very high temperatures when deep frying can lead to oxidization of the oils. The oxidized oils can cause many health problems including heart, lung and kidney damage. Consuming oxidized oils on a regular basis can also lead to the increased risk of high blood pressure. When we choose to bake our foods, we eliminate the risk of consuming oxidized oils because baking requires no additional oil heated at high temperatures.
2 cups of All-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Crisco shortening
Glaze: 1 cup of confectioners sugar; 2 tbsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Lightly grease the doughnut pan.
3. In a large bowl mix flour, sugar baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon.
4. In a separate bowl beat together eggs, milk, vanilla extract and shortening.
5. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Blend well. (I used a wooden spoon, however the same results can be achieved using a hand held mixer).
6. Fill each donut cup about 3/4 of the way.
7. Place on top rack for 15 mins. When the donuts are fully cooked you can press with your finger. If the donuts bounce back they are fully cooked.
8. Allow the donuts to cool for about five minutes while still in the baking pan. Then remove from the pan.
9. The glaze is real simple. In another small bowl add the water to the confectioners sugar. Mix well with a whisk. Dip donuts in the glaze and evenly cover the donuts. You can add your sprinkles, chopped nuts, fruit etc. before the glaze hardens.