Peas n Rice is a traditional Bermuda dish that is normally served up during summer time. This rice dish, which is also known as Hopping John, goes well with coleslaw and fried fish or chicken.
It is healthy, appetizing and an excellent side or can be served as a main dish. Most restaurants that dabble in Bermudian cuisine will have this option on the menu. Some recipes will call for red kidney beans instead of black eye peas, and the addition of the meats is optional.
- Black Eye Peas
- Bermuda Onions
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Beef Oxo Cube
- Soak black eye peas overnight.
- Once the peas have softened cook peas in 1/2 cup of beef broth until tender. Include your seasonings into this mixture.
- Cut your bacon, churizo and Bermuda onion into small cubes. In a separate pan fry up your Bermuda onion, churizo and bacon.
- Next add your rice to the peas and remainder of the beef stock. Turn your heat to simmer and add the lid.
- When the rice is about halfway cooked add your sautéed mixture to the rice. Do not stir the rice. You can also add your beef oxo cube at this point to impart more flavour to the rice.
- If your rice comes out a bit wet you can place it in the oven to dry it out. Once your rice is cooked give it a good stir to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the rice. You can rub butter over the top of the rice to add more flavour and to keep your peas n rice dish succulent.